Hawthorne Elementary School is dedicated to each child achieving his or her highest potential while providing a nurturing social environment. Since 1961, Hawthorne has been meeting the educational needs of children in the community. In 1995, Hawthorne became the first Theme School of Technology and Communication and is committed to further enhancing the educational experience of our students with our State of the Arts Apple Learning Lab. The Hawthorne Community inspires academic excellence, creative problem solving, responsibility and compassion in our students while building an effective partnership between home and school. Hawthorne sets the standard for academic excellence and growth through rigorous academic curriculum, fostered by dedicated, nurturing educators and involved, enthusiastic parents.
The Mission of Hawthorne School is to establish a partnership between home and school that maximizes students' social, emotional and academic growth.
Vision: Hawthorne Elementary - setting the standard for excellence through unity and purpose.
- To increase reading and writing achievement for all students.
- To increase math achievement for all students.
- To improve school climate, environment, and communication by involving students, parents, teachers, and the community.
Hawthorne celebrates its diversity each year with International Night. Students and staff dress in native costumes and bring native dishes to share. The Spanish program provides instruction in the Spanish language. As the elementary technology prototype school, the staff is implementing the technology classrooms of the future. Each classroom has INTERNET access and E-mail capabilities with a large screen monitor for instruction. Additional computers provide teacher and student workstations. The teachers integrate the curriculum with technology to maximize learning opportunities. Reading is emphasized, with positive competition through Accelerated Reader, which is networked throughout the school. Students in grades Four through Five are provided a High Achievers enrichment program.
AWARDS AND RECOGNITIONS
- Georgia Platinum Award School for Making the Greatest Gains 2007
- PTA wins award for 100% membership and Early Bird Award
- District level Platinum level awarded to PTA
- Received the 2005 Platinum Award for greatest gain in percentage of students meeting and exceeding standards.
- Staff received two Junior League Grants
- Recipient of Daisy Award from the Girl Scout Council of Northwest Georgia
- KaBoom playground
- Two award winning teams in DeKalb Science Olympiad
- Received $2,500 Best Buy Technology grant
- Student wins District Level Reflections
- School received a $2,000 Target Grant
- Student placed Third at the State Tech Fair
- Team placed Fourth at the DeKalb County 2006 Helen Ruffin Reading Bowl